It’s common to feel low in spirit. Perhaps you are feeling overwhelmed or frustrated by not achieving our goals. When we become distressed it can prevent us from living a fulfilling life. Although, we understand that we need to shift something in our life, the negativity can impede us from taking the necessary steps forward. In order to help you out of your funk we have compiled a list of seven helpful tips to boost your spirit.
- Write things down: One of the best ways to stop feeling overwhelmed is to list out everything that is weighing down our brain. Some items might relate to work, the home, irritants, goals, tasks or individuals. List making can serve to purge your mind and clarify the situation objectively, tasks you must do, and begin to help you create a path forward. This can be a big relief to your spirit and psyche.
- Take steps forward: Making a list is only the starting point, you need to take action on these items. Identify the key aspects you want to prioritize. This could be something small that you can easily achieve or something that is time sensitive. Once you begin to start, you might notice a positive shift within yourself. You may still feel pressure, but you will have peace knowing you are taking control of improving your life.
- Exercise: It can be imposing to start exercising. But even taking the simple step of getting to a gym or going outside is a powerful beginning point. Exercise can be as easy talking a walk, or tai chi. You can build up to weight training, cardio, pilates, yoga or even rock climbing. Even light exercises like stretching releases helpful chemicals in your brain that can lift your psyche instantly.
- Have good hygiene: No one wants to be around a person with bad body odors and stained clothing, not even yourself. Make sure you maintain a regular bathing schedule as well as brush your teeth and hair. Do your laundry so you can wear fresh clothes. Feeling clean and presentable will help you feel better about yourself and inspire you to do the hard work of completing your to-do list.
- Socialize: If you can get out of your house, this is preferable. However, some people can struggle with feeling homebound. Try to get off your couch and make a connection with anyone person. Sometimes the best way to lift your spirit is to get involved in helping someone else’s life.
- Listen to music: A great way to boost your spirit is to play music that you enjoy. This could be your favorite pop song that you can dance to, or some calming classical symphony. Music is a powerful medicine for the soul.
- Talk it out: Don’t feel like you are going through this trial alone. Call up a loved one and be honest about your feeling. Listen to their insights and see if they have a solution you haven’t thought about yet. You might also find solace in online forums and communities. If you are still struggling, enlist the help of a trained professional. Airing out your feelings can make a big difference in understanding your situation and ways you can create lasting positive change.